Cause Bracelet Keychain

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Go No Poo!

 video By Heather

Going NO POO
                     
At first I was like,
“what the heck? Why would you want to?”
Then I started doing research online and noticing how silky smooth and shiny Heathers hair was becoming.  I like to have as much info before trying anything new and so that’s what I did! I have compiled some of the top reasons why I and my daughter went NO POO!

1- Shampoo-
Its job is to clean your hair, but does it? Yes, but it also removes all of the natural oil that your body produces to protect itself and keeps it strong.
It was only invented in the 20th century bc soap wasn’t working with hard water that was becoming apparent in civilized areas. So tadah-shampoo was invented
.
2-Chemicals-
Have you ever look at all the ingredients on the back of the bottle!!??
sodium laureth sulfate, cocamidopropyl betaine,sodium chloride,glycol distearate, guar hydroxypropyltrimonium, trideceth-6, disodium edta, malic acid, glycine, stearoxypropyl dimethylamine, isoalkyl acid, methylchloroisothiazolinone
to name a few!
Your skin is your BIGGEST organ and very porous which absorbs every and any thing you put on it. There is mineral oil in it that coats the hair strand giving it the fake shine. But do you know where it comes from??? It’s a byproduct from gasoline when distilled from crude oil. It acts as a barrier to your scalp bc it cant be absorb like all the other chemicals in the shampoo, trapping all the natural, good oil from being released. This is why you need more to take away grease. The more often you use it, the more often you need it.
I had to wash my hair every other day bc it was too greasy to manage bc of the trapping of my own oil. Now since we "strip our hair", we have to use another artificial protectant called conditioner to make it feel soft and manageble! It’s a never ending cycle that cant be broken without removing the cause.

3-The Cost! $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
 I was spending sometimes up to $50 a bottle to try to find the best product for my hair. What I didn’t know, was that I was just buying more expensive chemicals!
 So these are a few reasons why I decided to give No Poo a try. I mean really, why not give it a shot? If it didn’t work out, then so be it, doesnt hurt to try!! 

Helpful step to Going No POO:
            Baking soda!!! It’s cheap $ and it’s the weakest alkaline and it makes your hair feel squeaky clean without striping it of its natural oils.
          
  I use 1 tbs to 1 cup  hot water. You may need more or less bs, depending on your hair thickness. Play around with it until you get the right ratio. If you have thick curly hair then you may need more compared to someone with thin or fine hair that would most likely need less. Leave on for a minute and rinse.

 Next you use acidic Apple cider vinegar to balance your hairs PH.  It acts as a “conditioner”. I again use 1tbsp to 1 cup water. If your hair is naturally more on the oily side, you may want to use less. Only use on bottom half of hair, not the scalp. It’s helpful to use a wide tooth comb to work it thru in the shower. It will have a strong scent but it will go away after dry. Rinse and dry as usual.

 If my hair feels too dry after drying it, I use Organic coconut oil on the ends. Keep in mind that a little goes a loooong way, so don’t over do it! It leaves it very shiny and smooooth.
(after 5 weeks no poo)(nice glamour shot u might be thinking! lol)
Does your hair stink, you might ask!?! Well, no, thank you, it doesnt! lol. If you ask anyone that knows me or my daughter, we are BIG on smelling things and neither of us would have stuck with the NO POO for now 4 months if our hair smelled bad! Trust me when I say this!!! It really just smells like me! Honestly!! Every one has their own scent and thats what your hair takes on.

*I use it on my 3 year old daughter with half the ratio only once a week and I have noticed an overall difference in her hair shine and manageability.

 *There is a transition period where your hair may produce excess oil, but it will get better. It may take from 2-5 weeks to get the balance right, but stick thru bc it will get better and it’s worth it!! Even with the excess oil, mine wasn’t that bad, I was still able to live my busy life, going to parties and events without wearing a hat or being embarrassed. My hair now feels stronger and less frizzy and I only have to wash it 1-2 times a week! It saves me time and money! What more could you ask for? Give it a try and let us know how it goes and if you have any questions! Happy no pooing! (sounds so classy, I know :) he he)


Written By Brandi


5 comments:

Love this blog ladies! I'm definitely going to try the nopoo and the lentils. I always struggle with what to eat for lunch. Thanks for the tips!

Thanks Krista! If you have any questions, let us know :)

We have been thinking of going nopoo for a while and when I showed your pic to my daughter she said "we have to try that!" :) Couple weeks now and getting the ratios and kinks worked out. She has long hair that tangles easily- any extra tips? :)

I would brush it before get into shower. Brush w wide tooth come in shower when have vinegar in. It def helps w the long hair :). I sometimes put coconut in while brushing before get into shower(but remember only need a lil bit) . It does get better, I remember at beginning spending lot of time brushing it out after shower. Once u get ur ratio down it doesn't take long :) hope that helps :)

"Go No Poo" is a revelation Watch Hulu Xbox Your insightful journey through the no shampoo movement provides a wealth of information and practical tips.

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More