Cause Bracelet Keychain

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Lentil Soup Everyday for the Rest of Your Life

video By Heather

Lentil Soup for the Soul

Ok, maybe not for the soul, but for your health, taste buds and waist line!


I thought Heather was lil crazy at first when I learned that she was eating Lentil Soup EVERYDAY!! I was like, what, really, why? I stayed with her for 4 weeks during the summer (bc she now lives on west coast and I the east L), I got to witness first hand how its made, how it takes the guessing out of what to eat for lunch and/or dinner everyday, and to have a healthy choice.
 I being a research kinda gal found out that Lentils in themselves are a great option. They absorb flavors, have a high nutritional value and you can get them all year round. What’s not to love?

Nutritional Info on the lil red magical, mighty Legume:
           
Contain 6 important minerals, two B-vitamins, and protein
Soluble and insoluble fiber
Iron for energy which every mom needs!
—all with virtually no fat!!  There are only 230 calories for a whole cup of cooked lentils. This tiny nutritional GIANT makes you fill full and satisfied to get you through your day!more info on lentils click here
           
Heathers Crockpot Recipe  (from video):
            Ingredients:
                        1/3 C lentils
                        12 ounce water
                        3-4 tbs spaghetti sauce
                        ¼ tsp thyme, Oregano, basil
                        1/3 cube veg bouillon
                        2 carrots
            Cook on high 3-4 hrs, low 6-8
           

Brandi’s tweaks:
I like to have mine for lunch, so I cook mine in a saucepan. It takes about 20-40 minutes; depending on the vegetables that I choose to put in them (carrots take longer). I really don’t have an exact measurement bc I pretty much just throw it all in a pan.  The only thing is to make sure to use right ratio of water to veggie broth cube. I usually make 4 cups bc I like to have more then one serving to share with my daughter or have it the next day for lunch. I use any veggies I have in the fridge, may it be left over green beans from dinner before or fresh tomatoes and squash from the garden. Every and all veggies I have added has been great. Anytime I make pasta with red sauce I also save it to put in bc it adds lots of flavor flav. I in addition to the spices Heather uses, put Italian seasoning, garlic powder and pepper to mine. It never turns out exactly the same, but it always tastes great!!


**** I don’t eat Lentil soup everyday like Heather, but 2-4 times a week. At first I did get gassy (such an attractive topic, I know), but now it doesn’t bother me at all and I can feel confident eating them without any "sneaky guest". The nutritional value and taste is worth any creepers you may get in the beginning. So give them a try and let us know how they turn out and if you have any other yummy ways to eat LENTILS!!!!


Written By Brandi

4 comments:

That's a lot of lentils. You sure about this?

I'm going to start making lentils this week! Thanks girls. Brandi, Your writing is fun to read. Creepers ha ha!

Hope you love them as much as we do Erica! xo

I was looking for a good recipe... so I'll try this!

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More