Cause Bracelet Keychain

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Cooking Beans



I have always been a bean fan, but it wasn't until I became a vegetarian that I started to make a large batch weekly and using them almost every day. This is a basic recipe that Heather and I use that isn't over powering so you can use in many different dishes, but has enough flavor to eat on its own.

WHY make & eat BEANS? You might ask. Well why not??? Here are some benefits of the mighty bean:
Not only is the bean an undisputed champion of the low GI food groups, it is high in protein and has both kinds of fiber. They are loaded with nutrition!
  • B-vitamins, Calcium, Potassium, Folate -----all that your body CRAVES!
Beans are super cheap too!! Its better to make your own then buy some that are being preserved in a can packed with sodium and who knows what kind of chemicals!?
They are versatile and can be used in many different dishes. I mainly use mine in tacos, burritos, chili--usually mixed with my favorite brown rice that I also make weekly.

Ingredients:
  • BEANS! I like to use my 2 favorite: pinto and black. I use 1 Cup of each , (for every 1 C of uncooked beans=3 cups cooked beans)
  • 4 bay leaves
  • salt/pepper
  • garlic powder
Directions:
  1. Pick out an ugly ones, debri or pebbles and then Soak beans in water overnight (removes dirt, and starts to absorb water to decrease cook time and begins to dissolve the starches that cause intestinal discomfort). So don't skip this step unless you want to do the  "quick boil" method (Bring to a boil, and let cook for 1 minute. Cover, take off the heat, and let sit for 1 hour. Then proceed to #2).

    2.Drain water, put beans in large pot and cover with fresh water and add the 4 seasonings.


    3. Cook your beans uncovered until boiling then cover and put on low. (Ck on them kinda regularly to make sure beans are still covered with water. If not then add more, a cup at a time). Takes around 90 minutes to cook.



**You can keep beans in fridge for up to 4 days and in the freezer up to 6 months. After beans cool, I freeze 1 cup portions in a labeled sandwich bag to take out after fridge supply runs out.




written by and bean lover Brandi

I like to cook my beans in the crock-pot!  I'm really good at forgetting things so crock-pot cooking is perfect for me.  Cover your beans with water and put everything else in and forget about it for 4-8 hours. 4 hours on High, 8 hours on low.

- Heather (polliwog)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More